Monday, September 22, 2014

Famous Last Words - Week 6 - My Writing This Week

I was working on my storybook earlier this weeks (it's going to be a collection of Cherokee stories) and I rewrote a story that I've heard from a few different Cherokee sources.  However, this story did not come from the Sacred Text Website and therefore was not a part of Cherokee histories.  So, even though I can't use this story in my storybook, I'm still looking at it as a good writing exercise.  As I've said several times throughout our blogging, I'm not the best storyteller.  My imagination in this area is limited.  Every time I write something, it's definitely an exercise, beads of sweat even pop up all over my forehead!! lol

It's hard for me to come up with interesting ways to retell a story in my own words.  I tend to retell them in the 1st person, which can get a little redundant and boring.  I'm going to try to find that link that Professor Gibbs has posted for us to give us writing ideas and play around with new ways in which to write.  Seriously how do writers continually come up with amazing literature?

I took this class because I've always liked mythology and folklore and it also filled an upper division requirement, but that wasn't really the driving factor.  I also ADORE reading.  My mother was an avid reader and now so am I, of course I don't really get to read for pleasure anymore, only for classes lol.  I had no idea what to expect, but I'm pleasantly surprised.  I like the fact that I not only get exposure to several culture's mythology and folklore, but I also have to go outside of my comfort zone and try something I've never tried before.  Getting my education at OU is definitely providing me with a wide range of subject matter, which will no doubt make me a well-rounded individual as well as a fantastic criminologist!!!


Mary Wollstonecraft - by John Opie


Bibliography:
Mary Wollstonecraft - by John Opie.  Web Source: Mary Wollstonecraft

1 comment:

  1. Writing can definitely be a stressful experience at times, even for those who do it a lot and have developed a liking for it. I actually find writing for this class to be comparatively relaxing compared to other classes since I don’t have to worry about making an ‘A’ every time. The most stressful type of writing I experience is when I’m writing something that I want to get published. I wrote a novella this past semester and, although it was fun to work on it at times, my progress on it was slow since the pressure of making it of publishable quality made every paragraph a painstaking experience at times. The good thing is that writing is a skill that we get better at the more we do it. I hope that this class improves your storytelling and overall writing ability, as I hope it does mine.

    ReplyDelete