Sunday, August 17, 2014

Google Search Tech Tip

I site searched Native American site:sacred-texts.com/nam and chose "Cherokee Religion" as a subject I was interested in.  

So, as I've said in a lot of my other blog posts, I am Cherokee and I enjoy taking my Cherokee foreign language classes in which I not only learn the Cherokee language, but also customs, games, stories, and more.  The "Cherokee Religion" page I visited pointed out that they speak Tsalagi.  Which, you would actually pronounce as Ja-La-Gee.  (hee hee, I learned this in class )  However, I did not know that the Cherokee had a long-standing feud with the Iroquois and other eastern tribes (i.e., Shawnee and Creek).  

Something I found amusing on this website was that some people today actually claim to be descendants of a Native American princess.  Anyone who knows about Native American traditions knows that there is no such type title or hierarchy with the Native American traditions.  

The website also pointed out two books that chronicled certain aspects of Cherokee life.  They are Myths of the Cherokee and Sacred Formulas of the Cherokee.  I would be VERY interested to acquire these books and spend hours reading them and learning more about the Cherokee.  

To add my own information to this blog, as I have learned from stories my grandmother told me and from my fantastic Native American foreign language instructors at OU.  The Cherokee believed in 7's.  There were 7 clans, 7 colors, 7 sacred healing trees/foliage, etc.  Also, colors meant certain things to them.  A common game played amongst the Cherokee was Cherokee Marbles.  

I've heard so many stories from a few reliable sources and it's nearly impossible to doubt the believability of these stories, despite our scientific logical white world.  


Bibliography:
Cherokee Religion.  Web Source: http://sacred-texts.com/nam/cher/index.htm 

No comments:

Post a Comment