Saturday, August 16, 2014

Week 1 - Storybook Favorites

3 Favorite Storybooks:  

Native American Tricksters 

The topic of this storybook jumped off the page at me.  I enjoy all things Native American and I have heard of the "Trickster" before, although I can't remember which tribe he belonged to.  The cover image was very interesting as well, and made me curious to read the introduction.  When I reached the first page and was "greeted," quite literally, by a fox, I wanted to read more.  The introduction provided me with just enough information to make me curious, but not enough for me to know exactly what I could expect.  I like that!! 

http://tinyurl.com/p2ob2td

Monstrous Beings of Greek Mythology

As soon as I clicked on the above story, I smiled instantly.  The title was aptly represented by the title page with mythological creatures.  The dark page with white text and the vivid, colorful pictures captured my attention instantaneously.  The introduction was very creative and it laid out an itinerary, for all intents and purposes, for where we, the readers, would travel and what stories we would be in for.  The author of this storybook even laid out maps for reference.  This was a very artistic storybook. 


Mermaids: An Eternal World of Waters


The cover for this storybook was lovely.  The image of the mermaids on the rocks and the ship sailing away in the background, was fun and very innovative a choice for the book.  As I have said previously in this blog and in other blogs, I have a fascination for strange creatures told in stories and fables and the mermaid is no exception.  The collection of stories gathered within this storybook has to by far be my favorite out of the three I have chosen to list here.  The layout of the storybook, the pictures and images chosen, and the way the stories are told are remarkable.  The author’s retelling of the vengeful mermaid had me wanting to read more…that’s always my favorite thing about any book I read, “do they leave me wanting more?” 

No comments:

Post a Comment