Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 2 - Essay - Hope I Didn't Ovido It!

OPTION 2 - ASSESS THE READING UNIT: 


I enjoyed the stories in Ovid I very much.  It’s nice to have the poem translated, because I sure wouldn’t be able to understand it.  (Well not all of it.) I’m sure it’s much more condensed as well, because they sure liked their stories long back in the day. 

I absolutely had my favorite stories.  I loved the stories of Io and Phaeton.  Just in a very general way, the story of Phaethon reminded me a bit of Icarus and flying too close to the sun.  This story surprised me the most.  I never realized that the English language adopted the name Phaethon to indicate a carriage.  Straight from Jane Austin’s Pride and Prejudice.  Mr. Collins brags of Lady Catherine driving by his home in “her little phaeton and ponies.”  The details of how the Earth scorched, flying into the stars, avoiding Scorpio, etc.  I could have devoured more of that type of story. 

The stories of women like Io and Callisto always annoy me, as does the story of Medusa the Gorgon.  These women were raped, so we’re going with unwillingly here, and yet these women are punished.  Now I realize that there would be no way to punish Jupiter/Jove/Zeus, the perpetual perpetrator, but come on goddesses of ancient Rome and Greece, trick the gods into something, not those poor girls.  It can be done! Zeus tricked Cronus into eating a rock….. helloo!  Haven’t they suffered enough? 

I thought that the story of Semele could have had more background information.  It feels as though the story picks up after the fact, but I’m curious to know how Jupiter found Semele.  We hear how he found Io and Callisto, but Semele seems to be different, she enjoyed (?) the company of Zeus/Jupiter.  Additionally, I’m a bit unclear as to the meaning of the following statement made by Juno to Semele while incognito:
“beg him to assume all of his powers before he embraces you, and be just as glorious as when Juno welcomes him on high.”
So, does Jupiter manifest all his powers, although admittedly holding some back, to come to Semele again?  And it is his almighty power that IS him that destroys her?

I had a difficult time understanding some of the goings on of Semele’s story.  For instance, when Semele is asking Jupiter for the favor and says “when you enter into the pact with Venus.”  I searched the Internet for a better comprehension of this phrase, but to no avail.  I saw other beings had entered into pacts with Venus, but nothing explaining this exactly.  I do this pretty often throughout reading these stories.  If there is someone who I am not familiar with, or some side story, I will do the research on it and look it up.  I feel it gives me a better understanding of the story itself.  I wonder if it would be possible to create, I don’t know, a side reference that perhaps addresses these other characters?  Or perhaps short footnotes?  

Ruben's-Fall of Phaeton




















Bibliography:

Myth-Folklore Unit: Ovid's Metamorphoses I.  Web Source:  http://tinyurl.com/kavgc4d

Ovid's Metamorphoses: Semele.  Web Source: http://tinyurl.com/l8vv3cw 

Ruben's - Fall of Phaeton.  Web Source: http://tinyurl.com/osk78yz 

No comments:

Post a Comment