Sunday, October 5, 2014

Famous Last Words - Week 8 - Just Life In General

So, as any of you who have read my introduction post know, I'm a 37-year-old single mom of a fantastic 13-year-old daughter.  Most of the time life swims along just fine with no problems.  She's a great kid, very smart, always a people-pleaser, and involved in a lot of school activities (track, honor choir, archery, community service, etc).  Well, she's had a lot of emotional things going on with her over the last few months and she's had a really rough go of it.  She's usually such a happy kid, seeing her so distressed just breaks my heart.  And as a mom, you want to be able to "kiss it and make it all better," but when we can't do that, it just makes you feel helpless.  On top of all of this, I've been trying to maintain a 4.0 through my classes (I'm a senior-and you all know the classes just keep getting harder) and sifting through all the things I need to have completed to successfully apply to the Sociology graduate program at OU.

BUT..... finally, my daughter seems to have found a nice balance with the high emotional things and dealing with teenage angst!! So, she's back to being my cheerful daughter again, which means I can be happy again!!  What's so funny is that you find out how great your family and friends are when you go through rough times.  They're there to help you get through the tough times, give you a shoulder to cry on, and give you the emotional support you need to maintain your sanity!!

As much as your family may get on your nerves, tick you off, or just generally irritate you, you always come back to the realization that no matter your differences, when you really need them, they're there for you!!  I'm so happy that my daughter and I are so blessed in friends and family that we'll never have to go through anything on our own!!! I hope all of you who read this (and even those of you who don't) are just as blessed with great people in your lives to make the rough spots not so rough!!

3 comments:

  1. I can't agree with you more! Family can get on your nerves at times, but there is nothing in the world that compares to the love and support you get from them. I am very blessed to have so many family members living her in OK. I grew up in LA, and only moved here 2 years ago, and I can't imagine not being so close to them now. I am glad things are looking up for your daughter, and good luck maintaining a 4.0! I salute single mothers going to school and taking care of children. I'm not married and do not have children. Just school and work, and I'm always stressed. I have no idea how you guys do it with a million different things going on. I'm sure all of your hard work will pay off and you are being a great role model for your daughter. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele,
    I love what you say family always being there when you need them. I know that much is true for me! It’s funny, people always joke about having trouble with your in-laws when you get married, but my experience has been the opposite. My in-laws are always so supportive of me and my wife when we need it most. It’s great to have that support when you’re going through life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you have such a great support system from your family, especially since you and your daughter seem like you have so much going on! Your daughter seems like she's got a really good head on her shoulders, which is such a blessing for a teenager! I didn't give my mom many problems (she was a single mom for a lot of my life too) but I do remember the occasional teenagey, angsty nonsense I would throw at her every now and then. Bless you for being able to parent and keep up and DO EXTREMELY WELL in school! I'm just trying to do one (the school thing) and its a struggle. Reading about you and your family is super encouraging so I hope you continue to post about them! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete