Monday, October 13, 2014

Week 9 - Storytelling: It's Not the Speed, But the Endurance !!!

Dear Diary (day 1),
The love of my life, Arora, has challenged myself and the hummingbird to a race around the world.  The winner will be her husband.  I can't tell you how very much I wish for this, you already know.  We leave in the morning.  Hopefully I will be victorious.

Dear Diary (day 2),
We gathered in the center of the village today to begin the race.  All the animals of the small town were there.  Some were in my corner, but most were betting on the hummingbird.  At this point, I too may take the side of the hummingbird.  When they blew the whistle for us to leave, hummingbird was out of sight before I could take off.  Worried.  But will not abandon my determination.

Dear Diary (day 3),
I do believe all is lost.  I've been flying the entire day and still have not managed to catch up with hummingbird.  For all I know, he may have won the race already.  I will stop for food, but then will be on my way again.  Even if I don't win, I must cross the finish line.

Dear Diary (day 4),
Today's turn of events was most extraordinary.  I stopped at a lake for a quick bite of fish and continued on my way.  In the night, I passed the hummingbird!!!  He was sleeping on a branch high in the trees....I feel confidant he did not see me.  I shall make a final push for the finish.  Victory is near!!!!!  (ahhh, Arora)

Dear Diary (day 5),
I MADE IT.  I actually crossed the finish line, and far ahead of the hummingbird too!!!  It is a bittersweet victory, however.  My beloved Arora was certain the hummingbird would win and set this race just to end my pursuit of her.  How can this be?  I thought her to be so virtuous, alas.....she has a cold heart.

P.S.  I do take great comfort in the fact that I beat that hummingbird!!! hee hee

Author's Note:
This story is from the Myths of the Cherokee unit from our un-textbook.  The hummingbird and the crane were both in love with a beautiful woman.  The woman liked the hummingbird because it was gorgeous like she was.  But the crane was so persistent she challenged them both if they were to win her and her love.  She said she would marry whomever could fly around the world the fastest.  While the hummingbird was gone in a shot, he tired quickly and needed to rest for the night.  The crane, on the other hand, could fly all night.  And he did.  This is how he won the race because he could fly all night he always passed the hummingbird. However, the woman refused to marry something as clumsy as the crane and therefore remained single.  I have seen/read many people's storytelling posts that read from the diary perspective and I thought this would be a good story to try that style out on.  I hope it carried over well.

Bibliography:
Reading Unit: The Myths of the Cherokee.  Web Source: Myths of the Cherokee
Story: The Race Between the Crane and the Hummingbird.  Web Source: The Race Between the Crane and the Hummingbird
Story Retrieved from James Mooney's Myths of the Cherokee.  (1900).
Image: The Hummingbird.  Web Source: Hummingbird
Image: The Crane.  Web Source: Crane

2 comments:

  1. I thought the diary format really worked in this retelling. I'm not familiar with this story outside of your post and author's note, so I hope I understand it correctly. Anyway, this story was very intriguing and I really enjoyed watching the hype and setup for the race. The outcome was a little anticlimactic, though, but it sounds like that may be the story's fault and not your own. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love when stories take the form of a diary. It is one of my favorite storytelling methods. I like that it is an animal’s diary that is funny. I feel like the writer will win because he is so determined and wants to be the husband. I can’t believe the race took days! This story reminds me of the Tortoise and the Hare. Awe, the ending of this story is so sad! Poor crane. I don’t like Arora.

    ReplyDelete