Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Week 11 - Essay - The End of the Class is Nigh

Well, I don't know about the rest of you in my Myth and Folklore class this semester, but I've almost reached the 410 point threshold for an "A" in this class.  This, of course, means that I am almost finished with the course.  I am a self-professed nerd.  I love school, I love learning, I love lectures, I'm learning to love writing papers (grad school here I come!), and I ADORE reading.  The more I read, the better in my opinion!!  I've found that not only has my education and vocabulary increased dramatically ever since I became a voracious reader, but so has my insight into other cultures, ways of thinking, etc.  And I can't find one negative thing to say with regards to that.

With that said, this has been a fantastic course!! I've gotten to read a lot of things about different cultures.  This has included their stories, fables, myths, and legends (just to name a few).  I mean, think about all of the different cultures we've been exposed to simply by the reading units Professor Gibbs has selected for this class.

We've had:
Classical & Biblical
Middle East & India
Asia & Africa
Native American (one of my personal favorites)
The British Isle & Europe

That's 9 different cultures.  You can sense the differences in cultures as you read the stories.  Some had legends, others had tales, and they all were steeped in the culture from whence they came.  The African tales dealt a lot with bringing back the dead and wild animals, indicative of the environment. The same can be said of the British Isle unit and the Middle East.

A lot of friends of mine have asked, off and on throughout the semester, what classes I'm taking and which I hate/love.  Well, I've been lucky and I haven't had ANY that I hate thus far and will be graduating in May 2015.  I have; however, had a lot of great things to say about this class.  I've let all my fellow readers know that if they're interested in reading works from cultures we probably will never experience in person, this is the class for you.  I hope you all felt the same way about the course as I did.  And I wish all of you nothing but the best of luck in the future.






Bibliography:
Image: Star Student.  Web Source: Star Student

No comments:

Post a Comment